What should a B2B website have in terms of features and functionality?
A client recently asked for some input on what B2B website features and functionality she should be incorporating into her company’s new B2B website. She also asked for a few examples of B2B websites we think are doing things right. These are great questions, and we hear them quite a bit from clients and prospects. So in the interest of sharing with a wider audience, we’ve posted our reply here.
B2B Website Features: Must-Haves
Some capabilities will be critical:
- Site content additions, updates, and organization are quick and easy, and can be done by marketing team without IT involvement
- All content and page components are well optimized for search engine indexing
- Site visitor activity is trackable both in aggregate and at the individual level
- Marketing leads can be captured into a marketing database that includes activity data, and shared with sales when determined to be qualified as sales-ready
- Measurement tools are in place for content engagement and marketing program performance (both inbound and outbound)
B2B Website Features: Nice-to-Haves
Once you have those elements in place, the nice-to-haves are about ease of use, customization capabilities, and level of sophistication.
For example, you might want multiple user accounts for website content changes, and levels of approval and editorial control. You might want the marketing database tool to have a rich graphics interface with drag-and-drop functionality, customizable reports, and fancy charts and graphs. You might want automated synchronization of data between your marketing database and the salesforce automation or CRM system. More sophisticated marketing teams might also want features like automated marketing triggers based on sales and finance data that is stored in other systems.
Other nice-to-have B2B website features would be around interactivity. Features like social media sharing of content, live chat with customer service agents, discussion forums, comment threads, and reviews can all improve engagement with site visitors.
As for good B2B sites, there are lots out there. Here are a few good examples that do quite a bit of what I mentioned above:
Interested in improving your B2B website to generate leads and get better results? Brainrider can help. Start now and request a proposal.